“Gameday” Documentation by “MVP Themes” v2.0
Thank you for purchasing my theme. If you have any questions that are beyond the scope of this help file, please feel free to visit the MVP Themes Support Center here. Thanks so much!
Table of Contents
Disclaimer - top
Although support is not required of ThemeForest authors, I do offer support for the theme and its core features and functionality. I cannot guarantee that this theme will function with all third-party components and plugins. Gameday Theme is presented as is.
Installation - top
- Make sure that you have the latest version of Wordpress installed.
- You can upload Gameday to Wordpress in one of two different ways:
- Extract the gameday.zip and upload the extracted gameday folder to the /wp-content/themes/ directory on your server.
- OR go to Appearance > Themes and click on the Install Themes tab at the top. Then click Upload and select gameday.zip and click Install Now.
- After you upload the theme, activate it by going to Appearance > Themes and click Activate underneath the Gameday screenshot.
Updating the Theme - top
From time to time, a theme update will be released that either fixes a bug and/or adds new features to the theme. You can update the theme in one of two ways:
- Remove the old version of the theme by going to Appearance > Themes and activating another theme (you may want to place your site in Maintenance mode via a plugin). Then, click delete under Gameday theme to delete the old version of the theme. Then, follow the installation instructions above to install the new version of the theme.
- OR you can upload the new /gameday folder (located in the gameday.zip file) via FTP and overwrite the old files.
NOTE: Updating the theme will overwrite any changes you made to any of the core files (index.php, style.css, header.php, etc), however, you will not lose any changes you made to the Theme Options, menus, widgets, etc.
Also, make sure to go to your Theme Options and click "Save all changes" after each time you update the theme to make sure any new options are generated properly.
Theme Options - top
Gameday comes with custom Theme Options to allow you to set up many of the theme features without touching the code. To edit the Theme Options, go to Appearance > Gameday Options.
- General Settings - Here, you will be able to upload a custom logo, a custom favicon, enter the custom tracking code for analytics (such as Google Analytics or StatCounter) and enter any custom CSS you need. NOTE: Please click "Save All Changes" in the General Settings section once before you begin in order to register the default theme settings.
- Logo Location - Set the location of your logo. You can either place a small logo in the top navigation bar or a larger one below the navigation.
- Small Logo - If you chose to place your logo in the navigation, this is where you upload your small logo file. The recommended maximum dimensions for this logo are 100x30.
- Large Logo - If you chose to place your logo below the navigation, this is where you upload your large logo file. The recommended maximum dimensions for this logo are 222x90.
- Custom Favicon - Upload a 16px x 16px PNG or GIF file to serve as your favicon.
- Tracking Code - Place your Google Analytics (or any other tracking code) here. This will be added into the footer template of your theme.
- Custom CSS - Here you can enter any custom CSS code for the theme, which will overwrite any other CSS code. You will not lose any of the custom CSS in this field when you upgrade the theme to a newer version.
- Toggle Responsiveness - Uncheck this box if you would like to remove responsive feature of the site that alters the site based on the device it is being viewed on. By disabling this, visitors will see the desktop version of the site no matter what device they are viewing.
- Show Featured Slider on Category Pages - Uncheck this box if you would like to remove the Featured Slider from the category pages.
- Color Settings - Here, you can select which colors you would like to use for your site.
- Primary Theme Color - Select or enter a hexidecimal code for the primary color of the site. This will affect the background of the main navigation, the background of the social sharing bar and the background of the main headlines section on the homepage.
- Secondary Theme Color - Select or enter a hexidecimal code for the secondary color of the site. This will affect the background of the scoreboard navigation buttons, the background of the category heading on some widgets and the navigation at the bottom of the featured slider.
- Primary Link Color - Select or enter a hexidecimal code for the primary link color for the site. This will only affect unstyled links.
- Widget Heading Color - Select or enter a hexidecimal code for the widget heading color for the site. This will affect the background of the header for certain widgets, like the Facebook Widget.
- Homepage Settings - Here, you can set the layout of the homepage and set up your featured slider.
- Homepage Layout - Set the layout of your homepage to display a widget area below the featured slider or a blog format where the latest posts from your site will automatically be displayed.
- Featured Slider Tag Slug - Select a tag slug from the dropdown menu to associate with the Featured Slider. Posts with this tag slug will show up on the homepage Featured Slider.
- Maximum Featured Slider Items - Set the maximum number of slides (posts) to appear in the featured slider.
- News Ticker Settings - Activate the news ticker that will appear in the section just below the logo.
- News Ticker Tag Slug - Select a tag slug from the dropdown menu to associate with the News Ticker. Posts with this tag slug will show up in the News Ticker.
- Maximum News Ticker Items - Set the maximum number of posts to appear in the News Ticker.
- Article Settings - Here you can decide whether to display a featured image and an author box on all posts.
- Show Featured Image? - Check this box if you would like to display a featured image thumb on all posts in the content area.
- Show Previous/Next Post Links - Check this box if you would like to display links to the previous and next posts below the article.
- Show Author Info? - Check this box if you would like to display an author info box on all posts in the sidebar area.
- Social Media Options - Here you can enter usernames for several popular social media sites to activate links to each page that will appear in a section just below the logo. Simply enter the user name and the link will appear automatically! NOTE: While most fields require just the username, Google Plus requires the full URL to your Google Plus Page.
- Ad Management - Enter ad code for the optional 728x90 banner or a wallpaper ad.
- 728x90 Ad Code - Enter your ad code for the 728x90 leaderboard ad that will appear below the main navigation (or below the scoreboard area if you have that feature enabled).
- Wallpaper Ad Image URL - Enter the URL for the wallpaper image (i.e. http://www.xyzdomain.com/xyz-wallpaper.jpg). Please do not insert the actual ad code for the wallpaper ad, just the image URL. The recommended width of the wallpaper ad is a minimum of 1280px. The recommended height is a minimum of 600px. NOTE: Due to the nature of wallpaper ads, the content of the site will sit on top of the ad and cover up the middle 1000px of the ad. The only visible area will the the left and right margins of the image which is why the ad should be wider than 1000px (recommended minimum 1280px).
- Footer Options - Enter your information for the copyright text.
- Copyright Text - Here you can enter any text you want (eg. copyright text).
Gameday supports one custom menu section.
To set up the menu, go to Appearance > Menus. Here, you can enter a name for your new menu in the Menu Name field and click the Create Menu button. You will then see a Theme Locations box appear to the left. Select your newly created menu from the dropdown list of the menu location you would like to set up and click Save. You are now able to create a custom link, page or category and add it to your new menu by clicking the Add to Menu button.
For more information on how to use the Wordpress custom menu feature, click here.
Gameday comes with Menufication, a user-friendly, customizable WordPress-plugin to transform your WordPress menus to a responsive fly-out menu in Facebook fashion.
Here are the instructions to install and set up Menufication for Gameday:
- Go to Plugins > Add New then click the Upload link at the top.
- Click Choose File and select the menufication.zip file (located in the /plugins folder of your original zip file you downloaded from Themeforest), then click Install Now.
- After the plugin installs, click the Activate Plugin link.
- Go to Settings > Menufication and make change the following settings to set up the plugin like the demo:
- Select your main menu from the Menu dropdown box.
- If you would like a logo in your menu header, in the Custom logo for the header box, click Upload image and you can either upload an image (under the Upload files tab) or select an existing image from your media gallery, and then click Select.
- If you uploaded a logo and would like to link the logo to your homepage, in the Use the header logo as a link... box, enter the URL of your homepage.
- In the Only create the menu when the browser width... box, enter 985.
- If you would like a search box in your slideout menu, check the checkbox next to Add a searchfield within the menu?
- If you would like a dark menu like the demo, under Theme color and select dark.
- Click Save
For the full list of features for the Menufication plugin, click here.
Gameday comes with 6 custom widgets for use in 4 different widget areas: Homepage Widget Area, Homepage Blog Sidebar Widget Area, Sidebar Widget Area and Scoreboard Widget Area. To activate the widgets, go to Appearance > Widgets and click and drag a widget from the Available Widgets box and drop it into any of the 4 different custom widget areas. NOTE: The Scoreboard Widget Area was designed specifically to only display the Gameday: Scoreboard Widget.
- Homepage Widget Area - If you have selected "Widgets" in your Gameday Options > Homepage Settings, then this is where you place your widgets to appear below the Featured Slider area on the homepage.
- Homepage Blog Sidebar Widget Area - If you have selected "Blog" in your Gameday Options > Homepage Settings, then this is where you place your widgets that you would like to appear in the right sidebar next to your blog posts.
- Sidebar Widget Area - This is where you can place your widgets that will appear in the sidebar in your "inside" pages, like posts, pages, categories, etc.
- Scoreboard Widget Area - This is a widget area made specifically for the Gameday: Scoreboard Widget that will appear below the main navigation.
- Gameday: 125x125 Ads Widget - A widget that displays four 125x125 ads. Here you can enter the ad code for each of the 4 ads.
- Gameday: 300px Ad Widget - A widget that displays a 300px wide ad, whether it is a 300x250 ad, a 300x100 ad or whatever height you need. Here you can enter the ad code.
- Gameday: Category Feature - A widget that displays the most recent post from a category of your choice and then you have the option to display links to the next most recent posts below. Enter a title for the widget and select a category. Then, if you choose to display the links, check the box and then enter how many links you would like to display.
- Gameday: Category List - A widget that displays posts from a category of your choice. Enter a title for this widget, select the caqtegory you would like to display and then select the number of posts to display. You can also select "All Categories" to display posts from all categories, which could serve as a "Latest Posts" widget.
- Gameday: Facebook - A widget that displays a Facebook Like Box. You can customize the title header, your Facebook page URL, and a few other options to help customize the Like Box to your liking.
- Gameday: Scoreboard Widget - A widget that displays scores from your custom Scoreboard Posts. Here you can enter the name of the Scoreboard Category and select a Scoreboard Category for up to 8 categories. For more information on how to enter scores to display in this widget, please refer to the Scoreboard section of the documentation. NOTE: The Gameday: Scoreboard Widget was designed specifically to only display in the Scoreboard Widget Area.
Images - top
Gameday supports retina-ready images. To utilize this feature, follow these instructions:
- Create a second image that is twice the size of your existing image. For example, if your logo is 222x90, your retina image would need to be 444x180.
- Add @2x to the end of the name of the retina image. For example, if your logo is called logo.png, name your retina version email@example.com.
- Upload the retina image in the same directory as your non-retina image. For example, if your logo is located in /wp-content/themes/gameday/images/, you must upload the retina version in this directory.
- That's it!
Gameday utilizes Wordpress' built-in Featured Image feature to handle image management. The recommended size for images to show properly within posts and in the featured slider is 615x400px. It is not recommended that you place posts without images in the featured slider. To set the featured image for a post, go to Posts > Add New (or edit an existing post) and click the Upload/Insert icon above the main text box. From here, choose a file and upload it. Once it is uploaded, click Use as featured image located near the bottom of the Add Media window. Then click Save all changes, close the Add Media window and you're good to go! Gameday will take care of the rest in generating the smaller thumbnails that show up in the various places around the site.
Background - top
Gameday utilizes Wordpress' built-in Custom Backgrounds feature to set up your custom background color and/or image. For more information on how to set up your custom background, click here.
Video/Audio Posts - top
Scoreboard - top
Gameday comes with a custom Scoreboard feature exclusive to this theme that allows you to quickly enter and update scores to display on the custom scoreboard widget. Here are the instructions for setting up your scoreboard posts:
- Go to the Scores section of your Wordpress backend.
- To add a new score, click Add New.
- Enter a title for the score entry (this will not be displayed anywhere and is strictly for internal purposes). Then look for the Scores Info box, which is below main text entry box. Here, you can enter a Score Status (e.g. Final or Sat 8:00pm), enter the abbreviations of the home and away teams, then enter the scores for each team.
- Next, you will need to select or add a new catgory (e.g. MLB or Football) via the Score Categories box, located in the right sidebar of the post screen. Click Add New Category to associate this score with a category.
- Once you have entered a title, entered information in the Scores Info box and then selected (or added a new) category, click the Publish button and that's it!
- Make sure that you have set up your Gameday: Scoreboard Widget to display in the Scoreboard Widget Area and you should be good to go!
Featured Headline - top
Gameday allows you to enter a separate, smaller headline for use in the featured slider. To utlize this feature, go to Posts > Add New (or edit an existing post) and enter your featured headline in the box titled Featured Headline. Featured headlines were designed to be a maximum of about 20 characters (or 3 words) long in order for it to display properly in the featured slider.
Show/Hide Featured Image - top
Gameday allows you to remove the featured image from individual posts. To utlize this feature, go to Posts > Add New (or edit an existing post) and select "Hide" from the dropdown box in the Featured Image Show/Hide section on the right sidebar.
Post/Page Slideshows (Theia Post Slider) - top
Gameday utilizes Theia Post Slider to give you dynamic slideshows in your posts and pages. Here are the instructions to install and set up Theia Post Slider for Gameday:
- Go to Plugins > Add New then click the Upload link at the top.
- Click Choose File and select the theia-post-slider.zip file (located in the /plugins folder of your original zip file you downloaded from Themeforest), then click Install Now.
- After the plugin installs, click the Activate Plugin link.
Theia post slider uses Wordpress' built-in "Page Break" feature to split up each slide in the slideshow. Simply click the "insert page break" shortcode button or manually insert
<!--nextpage--> to insert a page break, which will split your post into different pages/slides.
To customize Theia Post Slider to your liking, you can edit the slider settings by going to Settings > Theia Post Slider. Click here for the full documentation for Theia Post Slider.
Author Info - top
Braxton allows you to display information about the author on each post.
- Author Description - You can enter an author description via the author's user profile in the Biographical Info section. This description will show up below each post if you have the Show Author Info? option enabled in the Gameday Options.
- Author Avatar - Gameday utilizes Gravatar to display the author's avatar in the author info below each post. Please sign up at Gravatar.com with the email address you are using with the author on your site. Once you have associated an avatar with this email, this avatar will appear in the author info as well as in the comments section of the site.
Translation Files - top
Gameday comes translation-ready with .po/.mo files ready for translation. These files are located in the /languages folder of the main theme folder. Once you have translated the files, simply save them with the name of your language code (i.e. es_ES.po and es_ES.mo for Spanish) and place them back in the /languages folder.
For more information on how to utilize these files to translate this theme into another language, click here.
WooCommerce - top
Gameday is fully compatible with the popular e-commerce plugin WooCommerce, which will allow you to create a store within your site. You can download WooCommerce here. Once you have downloaded the plugin, follow these instructions to install the plugin with Wordpress:
- Go to Plugins > Add New
- Select the Upload link at the top.
- Click Choose File and select the woocommerce.zip file that you downloaded, then click Install Now.
Once the plugin is activated, WooCommerce will need to install several pages in order for it to function properly. Click here for more information about setting up WooCommerce.
bbPress - top
Gameday is fully compatible with the popular forum plugin bbPress, which will allow you to add a forum to your site. You can download bbPress here. Once you have downloaded the plugin, follow these instructions to install the plugin with Wordpress:
- Go to Plugins > Add New
- Select the Upload link at the top.
- Click Choose File and select the bbpress.xxx.zip file that you downloaded, then click Install Now.
Click here for more information about setting up bbPress.
CSS Files - top
- style.css - Main theme stylesheet
- /css/flexslider.css - Homepage Featured Slider
- /css/reset.css - The goal of a reset stylesheet is to reduce browser inconsistencies in things like default line heights, margins and font sizes of headings, and so on.
- /js/jquery.elastislide.js - Homepage Carousel Widget
- /js/jquery.flexslider-min.js & jquery.flexslider.js - Homepage Featured Slider
- /js/jquery.imagesloaded.min.js - Used in each widget area to arrange widget positions.
- /js/jquery.isotope.min.js & jquery.isotope.js - Used in each widget area to arrange widget positions.
- /js/jquery.tweet.js - Twitter widget
- /js/respond.min.js - Affects scoreboard widget
- /js/retina.js - Retina functionality
- /js/scripts.js - Mobile navigation effects & Sidebar Tabs Widget
- /js/ticker.js - News Ticker in header
Support - top
If you have any questions related to setting up the theme that are not covered in this documentation or if you encounter any technical bugs, please submit a ticket at the MVP Themes Support Center. Please note that this theme is sold "as-is" and any additional custom modifications you would like to make to the theme are your responsibility.
Sources and Credits - top
I've used the following images, icons or other files as listed.
Once again, thank you so much for purchasing this theme. As I said at the beginning, I'd be glad to help you if you have any questions relating to this theme. If you have a more general question relating to the themes on ThemeForest, you might consider visiting the forums and asking your question in the "Item Discussion" section.
Go To Table of Contents